Looking ahead to a New Year....

     As so many of us are "ringing" in the New Year I find myself reflecting on some of the past years. I have recently finished a book on all that I have gone through with this cancer dance. The book is still very much in its baby stages, but I hope someday it may offer some hope to someone going through cancer. I based it off of a journal I kept for all of these years. It has been interesting to re-read all the entries and get reacquainted with my past self. At times I was overwhelmed, anxious and also looking forward. It is interesting to go back in time so to speak and remind myself what I learned.
 
     It has been cathartic in many ways to have to re-visit my journals. This past winter was very difficult for me since I had planned to go back to work. I had my job for almost 20 years and its so hard to grasp the fact that I didn't have it to go back to. I have truly enjoyed spending all the time with family and friends but it is just "different."  It is also just a job as I remind myself. I have been through too much to let this be an anchor for me. 
 
     So, as the New Year arrives I am looking forward to new adventures. Change is ok, and having gone through chemo, radiation and surgeries I have had many changes. I am different inside and out. Its not necessarily a bad thing. We only go through this life once so there is no reason to be complacent or settle. Why not explore ourselves a little more closely. What do you really want in life? What is keeping you from obtaining it? Its not about material things. Its about what makes your heart happiest. My family is my greatest joy and the reason I fought the cancer with the intensity that I did. It certainly wasn't for some job that I was obviously not appreciated at. 
 
    As 2016 rings in I will be happy to just be here and I will be grateful.  Hopefully I will have another 365 days to find what really matters to me. I hope to be brave enough to try things I never have and to live life like the grand adventure it is! May your New Year be blessed with health, love , happiness and the peace your soul and mind will need.
 
Sally :)

Comments

Popular Posts