Thankful for Caregivers...

November is Caregiver appreciation month.  I find this so appropriate as many of us count our blessings at Thanksgiving,  I know how truly blessed I am to have the support system that I have had. My husband has carried so much on his shoulders as we have gone through this journey. He never complains and is always encouraging. He has on many occasions had to change his schedule to get me to appointments and treatments.  I would do the same for him but that doesn’t make me feel any less guilty. I am used to being independent and the one who is “taking care” of the family. There are days I am just so wiped out that a trip to the post office is all I can muster. Good days and bad days : everyone has them. 
   When someone is going through cancer or any disease, we tend to focus on the patient. Often times we forget about the one who is now doing the jobs 2 people used to do. I always said I think the caregiver really has the heaviest load. When I was sick I had one job….to get better. And that was the focus of all the nurses and Drs. family and friends. My husband however, was the one that had to come home to an empty house, buy the groceries, pay the bills, do the laundry etc. He was perfectly capable but those were my jobs. We were a team. 
    So as I have said before; with this comes a lot of guilt. People truly want to help and I know they don’t think of it
as a bother. I just find it difficult to the new adjustments I have had to make. I used to go full speed pretty much most of the time. Now I feel like I am in turtle mode and sometimes I have a heavy heart about that. I would love to plan weekend adventures or just a walk in the woods. I feel like I am holding us back from so many things. I know my husband doesn’t feel that way. He is constantly telling me “you are just re-building yourself, give it time.” He is my hero.
    Whomever your caregiver is whether it be a spouse, child, friend or family member…. Take a minute this month to REALLY let them know how appreciated they are.  They tend to be in the shadows and we need to shine a little light on these very special people.

Happy Thanksgiving, be well and be kind.
Sally

Comments

Popular Posts