"Working".....through cancer.

   I had to think long and hard on what to write about this month. I decided I would pick the topic I am struggling the most with right now. It is the inability to go back to work . In the scheme of things it doesn't seem like it should be a big deal. I spent the last year just trying to stay alive! However, now that I am feeling better I was hoping to go back just a few hours. I am no where near the point where going back full time is an option. I still have to have a port removed from my head. I wasn't ready for that just yet so I put it on the backburner for awhile. There is only so much poking and prodding someone can take in a year.
  I have worked since I was 15. Most recently I was at the same job for almost 20 yrs when I got sick. We all have  days we think we wish we didn't have to work. But for the most part I really liked my job and I liked working with the public. I miss the ladies I worked with and the everyday socialization. Whether you work outside the home or are a stay at home mom it is still the sense of getting out and having some form of socializing. Whether its at a soccer game, or conference room it is a feeling of "being." 
   I have so many people tell me I should just enjoy the time and do whatever I want. I have organized all my closets and cupboards...it gets old fast. I wasn't quite ready to "retire" yet,  so for me it was like having a rug pulled out from under me. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to be alive. I just feel like my sense of independence took a big hit and for me that is hard to get used to. I am blessed with a really supportive family and some awesome friends. But I miss "me" and somewhere I have to find a way to reinvent myself. 
  I have thought of doing volunteer work or doing home parties of some sort. I need to find something to change up my daily routine. I need to feel useful. I am wondering if anyone else struggles with  this . If so, I'd love to hear from you.
  I beat the cancer and I am forever thankful for that. Now its just about finding that "new normal"....I am finding that a challenge.
  So, til next time...keep fighting, keep  focused and stay positive! No one does this alone.
 
 
Sally
 

Comments

  1. As Sally asks in this month's post..... Is there anyone else who is struggling "working" through cancer or finding a new way to feel "useful".....? We want to hear from you so please feel free to comment here.
    Something you share....even if it seems small......may help someone else.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts