Reawakening

     Well, its looking like spring is finally here. I have optimistically packed my winter sweaters away. I see all the flowers starting to sprout up and the robins are in the yard. New life is "springing" forward and it always reminds me to pause and take it in. Another stage in the cycle of life. This past month I have been trying my best to support and encourage my friend that found a spot on her lung. She is going through that long road of treatments that I am all too familiar with. It is connecting us in a different way despite the fact we have known each other since first grade.I am glad she can find some comfort in knowing she is not alone. I know the toll this takes emotionally/physically and every way in between. I also have a friend that just lost her husband.
     He helped coach my youngest son in soccer so we knew the family over many years. Ironically the wife is the one that sat with me when I got my MRI results and I was told I had a tumor. My husband didn't go with me on that appointment, because I told him to go to work. I never imagined I would get the news I did! 
     Several years ago they diagnosed this "gentle man" and gave him a few months to live.That makes me crazy because no one can give you an expiration date! I understand the Doctors have to give you facts but I just never agreed with the estimated lifespan. I was so happy to know he lived to walk his daughter down the aisle and see his son finish school. I remember as a kid I had a cousin who had Lou Gehrig's disease. They gave him months and the family was devastated. He lived for YEARS!!!!
     Spring is the sign of new life and new hope. A chance to emerge from our winter hibernation and take a deep breath. I hate this disease and everything about it. It takes the entire family on the ride. My sister just had a small skin cancer removed from her nose and my cousin had it on her leg. Sometimes I could scream "when does it stop?" Instead I will continue to be grateful every morning I wake up.I will pray for all the people out there dealing with this and the doctors and nurses that do what they can. You can't let it overwhelm you and I for one won't give it any more than it has already taken from me.
     So, I will fill my bird feeders and sit on my porch and watch the flowers blooming through the ground that was just covered in snow. Never give up hope and embrace the people you love like a fresh bouquet of flowers.

    Til next time, be well 

  Sally

Comments

Popular Posts