Inspiring older generation....

    Recently our family had the passing of one of its matriarch’s, she was 97 and my fathers cousin.
When I spoke to her son he was telling me that 20 years ago she was told she needed heart surgery.
She had blocked arteries and according to him “one foot on a banana peel.” She told the Doctor she would
“think about it.” Well, I guess she was still thinking about it 20 years later. This woman was also the mother
of my cousin that was given months to live after a diagnosis of Lou Gerhigis disease; he lived for years.
      So, here are my thoughts. I don’t think the magic of positive energy or ignoring medical isssues
is necessarily the way to go. I am well aware that I am alive because of my Doctors and I also worked very
hard at not letting the negative thoughts get to me.  You can only control so much but you really do have to
wonder how much does the power of your mind have over things.
       My childhood friend that is dealing with cancer and the radiation/chemo treatments called me and 
admitted she struggles with the fears that we all face. The constant nagging in the back of your mind that
makes you nervous when you go for follow up appointments. The ghosts that keep you up at night when 
you can’t sleep. You try to push the thoughts aside because you just can’t live that way. Fear is crippling and there has no redeeming quality to it. Maybe there is a lesson here from the older generation that either was too 
busy to worry or just put it off for another day! Perhaps they learned earlier in life that it is hard, it isn’t
always fair and you deal with the hand you are given and go about your day. Lets be honest; we are 
pretty pampered and sheltered nowadays.
        I see that my family has entirely different opinion on what is actually a “crisis” than some the people
that complain because their latte wasn’t made to their expectations. We need to stop and think about how tough the older generation had it growing up. Children died from disease that is now so curable. They worked awful hours and got paid next to nothing but they plugged away and raised their families. I am sure they were scared and worried but but they didn’t have the option to let fear get the best of them. They just had to keep going….one step at a time.
        So as the summer kicks in full swing, try to enjoy it as best you can. Try to keep happy positive thoughts
surrounding you like sunshine!
Til next time,
Sally

Comments

Popular Posts