The "value" of chemo

Hello and Happy New Year. 
     I hope things are going well for everyone. Snowed in but making the best of things.
I have kept busy organizing, reading and baking. Simple things that used to be so
overwhelming.  I still struggle with some blurry vision and hand cramps. Little things
that are frustrating reminders that I am never going to be like I once was.
    Today I started listening to a video someone posted on my FB account. I had to 
shut it off…they were saying that chemo is nothing but a money maker.
Do I think it is exorbitantly over priced?  Yes!   And in all honesty I have 
often wondered about the need of some medications. The video I watched said chemo
only works in 2% of adults. They went on to imply that the Doctors were making tons
of money as an incentive. I know people who would agree with this. I know people
who have tried the  “natural” cures. I don’t begrudge anyone for choosing what they
feel is best for them. I knew going into this that my chances were 2%.  It’s a little insulting
to me knowing how vested my doctors were and still are in my care. They are genuinely
happy to see me improve. Money is not the motivator for everyone. One of my Doctors
spent a lot of time away from her young children and struggled with “mother guilt”
of being at work a lot. She was doing it though because she was working on the Cart-19
project which has made some major break throughs  since I went through it. 
     Its difficult enough having to deal with a diagnosis of any kind of cancer. It truly
bothers me that on top of that you have people saying your treatment is nothing
but a money maker. To all the families out there going through this…. So what! You are
worth it. How do you put a monetary value on a life?  If they can lower the price
on treatments that would be wonderful. I just don’t want someone to give up on trying
because there are miracles happening every day.
      Be the 2%! Be well, be your best, be blessed.

Sally

Comments

Popular Posts