The elephant in the room

  More often than not I'm pretty much an open book.
I'm not shy about talking to people. However; I've recently
realized how I've been trying to stifle a lot of guilt I have.
I know so many people can understand how I feel. It's like 
the elephant in the room you're trying to ignore.
   Ten years ago my life was train wrecked. Everything I was 
and the life I had were totally derailed. Getting cancer and 
leukemia back to back didn't allow me much time to process
everything.
    I'm now in the "maintenance" stages. I can accept that I
won't ever be the same. I won't have my usual life back.
That's a harder pill to swallow than all the ones I take 
each day.
    The guilt kicks in when I watch my husband juggling 
his schedule so I can make my doctor appointments. I 
can no longer work, I am chronically fatigued. My lungs 
are working at 50%. I won't to scream "How did I get here?"  I used to take my boys to all their appointments, sport events and school activities. Now I get tired walking 
to the mailbox!
    My body has changed in more ways than I thought
humanly possible.That alone is a struggle to deal with.
     I feel guilty because my husband and I used to kayak,
bike ride, take walks and have lots of parties. I feel like 
I have failed. He's been nothing but wonderful and never
says anything about my limitations. This I know is all in
my head but I still feel it. If the elephant is going to be in
the room, I may as well throw it a peanut.
     Blessed I am, no question about that. Body and mind need to heal together. I am still figuring out how to do that.
I miss my sense of independence. So if you are reading this as a patient/survivor you probably understand the guilt. If you are a caregiver please understand the frustration. It isn't ever meant to be directed at you but I know some people don't even realize why they are frustrated.
     Be well, move forward, take a deep breath and remember hugs have positive energy: give lots of them!
     Sally

Comments

Popular Posts