"Great Expectations"

Recently I was sorting through some old photos. I was really taken back by one in particular. It was a picture of my husband and me taken last Christmas. I was out of the hospital and feeling pretty good. I had lost a lot of weight but now for the first time I realized how I looked.

People always say to me "you look great, your color is back" or "how are you? you look good." I couldn't figure out what exactly they meant other than to just simply to pay a compliment. They knew I had been through a lot so I assumed they meant I looked good in spite of everything. 
Nope. I looked awful in that picture! I always made sure I did my makeup and put on my
jewelry to make myself feel better. My mom grew up during the depression in a 3 bedroom house with 11 kids. She always said "Being poor is no excuse to be dirty."  I took her words of wisdom and applied it to being sick. "Just because you're sick its no excuse to be lazy." If you get up, get washed and dressed you will feel better. So I made it a point to do my best. And I made sure to put on a blingy head scarf from Sparkle My Head Scarves!
When I looked at this picture I realized how puffy my face was from all the drugs. And the usual ivory white skin seemed to have a yellowish tone about it. Granted I had no eyelashes or eyebrows so I had to masterfully put those on with makeup. I now see why people comment the way they do. 

I don't look anything like the person in last year's photo. This year I have short super curly hair. My face is back to its normal shape and my skin color is also back to normal. I have put  some weight on, so my legs don't look like sticks I found in the yard.

I am looking forward to taking a new picture this year. I will be thankful for the opportunity in being here to do so. I am learning we are all like butterflies emerging from a cocoon. None of us come out the same way we went in. That's ok. We come out stronger, freer and learn how to re-invent ourselves as we evolve.
So whether you are a butterfly or a caterpillar right now.....hang in there, be patient, your true beauty is just waiting to shine through. 

Have a wonderful holiday season "sparkling" wherever you go.
Sally

Comments

Popular Posts