Strength of Your Spirit to Survive: Redefining Yourself

     I used to get so upset when I saw all the scars on my arms. My skin is discolored on my forearms. It looks like I have a tan from my wrists to my elbows. The scars are bright white so they are pretty hard to miss. 

   When I was on certain meds my skin was like crepe paper. The slightest bump would leave me with a bloody mess. I never went anywhere without bandages! The adhesive on bandaids made it worse so I had to get ones with very little adhesive. I started wearing sleeves that reminded me of compression socks. I remember being in an ER once and telling the nurse how sensitive my skin was. She was hooking up EKG equipment. I think she realized I wasn't being a baby about it when she tore off a piece of my skin. Another battle scar to add to the collection.
   I am not writing to dwell on the negatives. I have turned a corner. I don't know how or when but I did. I look at my scars now and think "Look how far you have come!"
   The life I envisioned for myself isn't necessarily the one I am living. However; I am "living" so I will adjust my sails and quit fighting the current and see where it takes me.
   Going through cancer / leukemia or any disease you have to find ways to redefine yourself. What are some ways you have had to redefine yourself?

Comments

Popular Posts