Cancer Support Post: Introducing Sally

   I have had several people tell me I should "share" my story. I will openly talk to anyone about my dance with cancer. Writing about it however initially had me thinking it was a little self centered....I am not really one for drawing attention to myself. After some deep contemplation I thought maybe by writing I could actually help someone else . So  here goes.....I had ALL several years ago. They found a tumor in my neck and removed it. I went through chemo/radiation and all that it entails. I was cancer free at my 5 yr mark....or so we thought. It came back as a rare form of leukemia and was now in 80% of my spine. Talk about a tornado hitting your world. This time surgery was not an option since it was everywhere and my body wasn't responding to chemo. I was fortunate enough to be part of a clinical trial which basically saved my life. 
   One of the reasons I decided to write was because several people did  not survive the trial and I feel an obligation to their families. I never met them but it is still a sense of honoring their loved one. After the trial I underwent a bone marrow transplant to ensure it wouldn't come back. Oct will mark a 1 yr anniversary for me. This was a tough 1 1/2yrs. The hardest part was watching my family go through it. I insisted on humor throughout even our toughest moments. Being bald you save money on shampoo and haircuts so I tried to look at the bright side. Twisted humor, but individually we all have to find what works for us. It was hard...I had to leave my job and was often too weak to do much. It leaves one feeling a bit useless. But your'e not.....you are just "regrouping!" 
   I hope someone might read this and know you are not alone in this. If I can give 1 piece of advice it would be this,"Don't let the disease become bigger than you are. You have to face it just like you would any opponent and never let it intimidate you."
 Keep in mind the story of David and Goliath and keep on fighting!
-Sally :)



Next month's topic: "Your looks are not what define you and neither does cancer."

Comments

Popular Posts