Recognizing my “new job”

I always say I try very hard to think of a topic to write about. Everytime it seems like the topic presents itself.
I keep crossing paths with so many people going through so many types of cancer and treatment. I don't seek them out, they just sort of find me. Recently a good friend of mine just went through a clinical trial and I am thrilled to report she got wonderful news. I also know someone that is in the midst of navigating through chemo, radiation and having ports put in. I know all these procedures too well. Sadly, I know someone that didn't do as well and was lost entirely too young. That's the thing with this disease; it doesn't go by any sense of fairness. Its a reminder at how precious life is. 
   I was supposed to be in a new clinical trial for side effects from my Graft vs Host. I didn't get in and I am really ok with that. I just figured someone else needed it more. So many people have no idea about the side effects we go through after the treatments. Yes, I am cancer and leukemia free for now but I will have the side effects from the bone marrow transplant for the rest of my life. It makes some days harder than others but I am here. I am guessing my new "job" is to try to help other people as they go through their own journey. 
  I reordered the book I wrote because I don't have any left. I never thought I would go through the first batch. I thought I would have them laying all around the house for years. Surprisingly, not the case! I gave 2 more Doctors a copy the other day. They said they were so happy to be able to read " a patients perspective on going through this." That made me feel like perhaps thats my best way to help. I am planning to give part of the book proceeds to Sparkle My Head Scarves so we can donate to people that can use a little encouragement.
    I still have good days and bad days like everyone. I just encourage you to keep moving forward and as you do; reach back and help someone else. Little things mean so much and kindness costs nothing. Just check in with people so they know they aren't forgotten. Often we don't know what to say, so we say nothing. Just say, " thinking of you" its pretty simple but can make a difference. 
   Wishing you well, and wishing you calmness. Til next time.
    Sally

Comments

Popular Posts